It looks like I’m going to end up hosting OurDDO on my own site. I’ve put together a test page and it looks a LOT better than anything I’ve been able to get using various browsers and feed readers.
I’ve done a test page that looks pretty good, but some of the feeds still aren’t showing up. In this case I think it’s probably just a matter of not having the right RSS address; I just plugged in blog URLs for the first one and tried putting an RSS extension at the end of them. Some blogs may have a different system.
Also, I’m really trying to make this all prettified. What I’d like from everyone involved:
1. The address of your blog’s RSS feed. In many cases, but not all, this will as simple as putting “/rss.xml” at the end of your blog’s main address (for example, mine is https://ddoeven.wordpress.com/rss.xml). Best bet if you don’t know what the RSS address is – check your admin page or control panel, or check with the blogging platform you use.
2. Know those little icons we have in MyDDO, such as my green-tinted soulstone? I’d like to have them on OurDDO too. I’m thinking 100×100 pixels. You can either send me the image itsellf and I’ll put it on my Photobucket, or (and this is a better option for anyone who might want to change their icon from time to time) you can upload it yourself and just send me the link.
3. The EXACT username you want to be known by.
4. The EXACT name of your blog.
5. Whether you’d rather have the blogs identified in the feed listing by blog name or username.
You can send all this to me at email@example.com, and ONLY firstname.lastname@example.org. MyDDO mail is borked for me far more than it works, and I don’t often check my forum mail – heck, I sometimes go a week or two without even logging into the forums. I do have a life outside DDO, and it’s convenient for me to have all this stuff in one place.
I’ll start updating the test page as I get responses and will then start having a few other people also check it on various browsers. Again, I do have a life outside DDO. I will try to get this stuff done as quickly as possible, but I’m not going to be manipulated into being on anyone else’s timeline. Ninety-nine percent of the time, this isn’t a problem, and I’m sorry I even have to mention it… but that 1% has been a real killer.
Anyway! I WILL be making a serious effort to check Even’s Gmail at least once a day, and I’ll get this going as soon as possible!
Also, if you have a DDO blog, or a blog that’s at least partly about DDO, and you want to be included in OurDDO, please send me an E-mail or check out the OurDDO info page.